Intellectual Property Rights
As our society becomes increasingly information-based, protecting one’s intellectual property rights through proper licensing and exploitation arrangements has never been more important. Weir & Associates, working in partnership with its international affiliates as necessary, provides comprehensive services to maximize its clients’ protection under relevant local law.
Our intellectual property lawyers practise as litigators and non-contentious lawyers to provide practical and value-added advice to our clients. We can draw on the substantial power of our firm’s commercial litigation and corporate practice groups along with utilizing the skills of our specialist groups in corporate structuring, finance, tax and employment.
Non Contentious Services
We provide a range of non-contentious intellectual property related services including:
- Trademarks, patents and design registrations in Hong Kong, China or internationally (providing seemless coordination across multiple markets)
- Copyrights and related infringements;
- Technology transfer agreements;
- Licensing agreements, including contractual and commercial exploitation of intellectual property and distribution licensing;
- Acquisition and disposals of businesses with intellectual property rights; and
- Dispute resolution
- See also information in our other areas of practice;
Furthermore, our substantial experience in business acquisitions allows us to provide useful input in structuring and negotiating arrangements for subsequent transfer or licensing of intellectual property rights throughout the world.
For existing companies, we work closely with trademark and patent agents together with localized lawyers throughout the world to ensure clients have to availability to achieve consistent protection for their intellectual property. We have experience in advising and implementing strategies to protect and exploit intellectual property, particularly in publishing, software and telecommunications.
In intellectual property dispute resolution, we have considerable experience in assisting clients analyse and implement the most cost effective options when faced with conflicts. Our lawyers discourage needless litigation though we do not shy away from necessary confrontation. We have handled dispute resolution matters such as:
- Protecting trademarks against piracy and parasitic trading;
- Defending trademark infringement and passing off proceedings;
- Obtaining orders to restrain internet distribution of unlicensed copies of software;
- Pursuing patent infringement and revocation actions for goods;
- Prosecuting unregistered design right infringement actions for products; and
- Pursuing or defending disputes relating to unauthorised use of confidential information.